Sunday, April 17, 2011

Just plugging some memory leaks..

After I considered .01a complete, I played through a couple seeds for the week just to get a feel for things before I went forward.  One thing I noticed is that as time goes on, the game uses more and more memory.  Memory leaks - the bane of my existance.

I've been going through the code as meticulously as I can trying to find where this leak is coming from but I haven't had much luck.  The good thing about this, though, is that as I'm going through code I have been optimizing things as much as possible.  I've come up with some ideas about how I can lower the memory footprint even more and I might try and implement them.  I rewrote the chunk unloading code to be more efficient too.  All this effort is not to waste :]

So after I finish this, I'm going to add a skybox with a night/day cycle.  Once that's done I'll add some plants/animals.

I did set up a preliminary website at  I have some forums up too and I think once I get .02a done, I'll release the alpha on there so I can get more testers.

No comments: