Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Version Released + Website

I've pushed out a new version (.0a1.0.1.4151.31367) to the testers.  The game should load faster now and take up less memory.  My Dictionary<Vector3,bool> that stored all visible cubes is now a Hashset<Int16>.  Almost as fast but a lot less memory, so it's worth it.  I also just realized that I forgot to update the version number to .0a2.

Feature-wise, you can now switch the type of block that they're adding by using the number keys.  ~ key is a hard stone, 1 and 2 are stone and dirt, 3 and 4 are water and 0 is whatever the texture algorithm picks.  I've re-enabled fog and added clouds and I've added a primitive day/night cycle.  I've created a 1x500px image file that has all the colors starting with nighttime->sunrise/set->daytime.  I load that in, pull all of those colors into a Color[500] array and dispose of it.  The day is 500 ticks long (each tick lasting a second) and I change the color of the sky by setting it to whatever that position in the gradiant is.  The file is located in the %appdata%/.r01 folder and is called skyColor.png.

Lastly, I've switched to a new server and am working on setting it all up.  Until then, the forums are down.  Hopefully I can put something pretty together by the end of the week.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011


Nothing amazing, but it's a start :]

I also have them slowly moving along the X axis.  I'm going to make it so different altitudes have different wind speeds.

Monday, May 09, 2011

All I've been doing is playing.

I know I should be working on stuff, but I've spent most of the day playing.  I did add a "sprint" capability and the ability to pick what type of block you want to add.  For the most part, though, I've just been creating my mountain home and putting beacons everywhere so I don't get lost.

This game is fun.