Thursday, March 24, 2011

Roadmaps and roadtrips...

I wanted to add a crosshair to the screen, so I thought it'd be as simple as using a sprite and just drawing it to the screen.  After doing that, all of my primitives were transparent and messed up.  I researched and couldn't find much, so I resorted to the forums and they led me to a blog post that explained it all.  I should've realized it because it makes sense, but basically when you draw 2d to the screen after you draw 3d, GraphicsDevice resets a bunch of parameters.  Primarily these:
1:        GraphicsDevice.BlendState = BlendState.Opaque;  
2:        GraphicsDevice.DepthStencilState = DepthStencilState.Default;  
3:        GraphicsDevice.SamplerStates[0] = SamplerState.LinearWrap;   

After resetting them back to their previous state, I have the following:



Nothing fancy but at least now it's easy to see the FPS and player position.  I've also created a tumblr account to upload some more screenshots to.  http://r01.tumblr.com is the address.

Lastly, if you look to the right, you'll notice a new box showing the current version and its planned roadmap.  I might add/remove stuff as I go along but that's the current plan.

No major updates besides that.  Lots of reading about HLSL and as you can see, a decent shader is going to be required before I can move onto the next version.

No comments: