Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What I've been up to.

I've been doing a lot of non-pretty enhancements to the game.  I have a basic client/server architecture set up, but it doesn't even really have authentication.  The player just constantly sends their position to the server and it tracks it.  I'm using UDP for that.

I've also updated the pool class so it uses my hose class.  This seemed to make the game load faster, but that might just be in my head.

I'm working on the texture algorithm, but I'm not entirely sure where to start with it.  I don't want to call the Perlin noise algorithm since that'd put a 2nd call in the code and cause some significant slowdown.  I'm thinking some kind of combination of the height of the block + the terrain base height + how far it is from the "surface".  That's my guess so far, but I have nothing definite.

The other thing I'm still mulling around is how I want to do water.  Again, I have an idea but I'm not entirely certain of how to approach it.  My idea works for placing a block of water and having it run down a hill or fill a hole, but I still don't know how I'm going to scale it up to a full ocean without having some crazy overhead.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on.  No new screenshots since I haven't really made anything visually new.

No comments: